Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What a relief!


In my last post, I said this:

 "is it unrealistic to want or expect someone who is your 'friend' to call you back?"

Last Thursday, September 13, I received this response:

This is what Bishop T. D. Jakes said,

“I can’t be committed to everything.  I can’t join everything.  I can’t be married to a thousand women.  I can’t work a thousand jobs.  I can’t join five churches.  Because I take my commitment too seriously to spread it around loosely.  It costs too much.  I see a lot of people now I like, that interest me and intrigue me and I would like to be friends, but I don’t become friends with them because I understand that REAL friendship is an investment.  And there’s not anymore of me to go around, so we will be nice and we’ll be casual acquaintances.  Because I understand REAL friendship is a commitment: It means I will be there for you.  It means I will return your calls.  It means I’ve got your back.  It means that I will emotionally, spiritually, financially do whatever I can to undergird you.  And I can’t do that with everybody.”

“IT’S A COMMITMENT.  THERE’S MORE TO IT THAN BEING NICE.  FRIENDSHIP IS A COMMITMENT.”

I mean come on.......THAT ONE specific act, of returning a call, was THE ONLY SPECIFIC act he mentioned.....
he didn't say, "I'll remember your birthday" or "I won't steal your husband."
he said, "It means I will return your calls."
I don't know about you,
but that's a WOW for me.

it's magick.

and I'm glad to finally know more about the relationship we call "Friendship."  I now know according to a pretty wise dude, REAL FRIENDS call you back.  I agree with him.

It's still a wonderful and complex world, with many joyous things to do.

be safe,
be well,
be enchanted.
Meliss

ps:  BTW, that means I was right.  Friends call friends back.  Associates don't.  Don't ever try to make a bunch of associates your friends!  And most definitely DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT try to make them your family that you never had.......it will most certainly blow up in your face.

Need some help liking your own art?

Need some help liking your own art?
interviews and advice are just a click away
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click here to view this photo book larger

You'll love Shutterfly's award-winning photo books. Try it today.