Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Interview 3: Robyn Tipton


I'm very excited to share my interview with Robyn Tipton of Robyn's Art with everyone. Her photography contains striking images of things we see every single day, but somehow Robyn makes us take notice of them. I think she's magickal! Her blog is always full of insight and she really makes ya think (today's post is about guilt). My favorite thing about her though......the inner strength that shines through everything she does. It's infectious - the good kind ;). Hop over to her etsy shop and take a look (she makes exquisite journals too!).


The past:

How long have you been arting?


I have been creating all of my life. My grandparents had encouraged me when I was very young. My first craft endeavor was making hair barettes and selling them in our family fireworks stand. From there I sewed my own clothes, moved into woodwork, tole painting, pottery, cross-stitch, painting, and now photography. Through all that, I've written. I've written poetry, and have had a novel in the works.

Have you always hearted your art or did you struggle to do so?


I've struggled. However, I have always found outlets to market and sell my art. That has always been affirmative.

If you did struggle, how long did it take for you to heart your art?

With each new endeavor, I doubted. However, I have been lucky to find people to encourage me every step of the way.

Has there ever been a time when you stopped arting because of this struggle?

There have been times that I stopped putting myself out there. But there has never been a time when I stopped creating.

If so, how long was it before you returned?

I returned to marketing my work after analysis and practice, each time.

How did you begin again?

I had a pep talk with myself and just got back on that horse.


Family and Friends:

Is (or was) your family supportive of you and your art?

I have been very fortunate for the support in my life.

How about friends (past and present)?

I have done The Artist's Way 4 or 5 times in my life. I learned the first time to protect my art from those who don't support me. And if they are not supportive of my art, they are not supportive of me.

Describe the type of support they have provided?

Everything from brainstorming to cheerleading to picking me back up when I fail.

How much influence has your experiences with family and friends had on your own feelings about your art?

When I was younger, if I wasn't supported, I didn't put my work out there. Now, I simply seek out those who are not toxic to me, and I forge onward.


Outside Influence:

How much influence does ‘the outside’ have on your feelings about your art?

At times, 'the outside' has caused me to retreat and rethink. I always come out stronger though.

How does positive feedback effect your feelings?


It makes me soar with the eagles! Each positive helps to affirm what I'm doing.

How do you deal with negative comments?

I ponder. I obsess. Then I address and move on.

How do you deal with your art not selling?

That's been a tough one for me. There have been many times when I have been quite down because sales weren't what I expected.


The Now:

What is your current experience with hearting your art?

I absolutely heart my art! I love every bit of the journey and I love watching my art flourish.

Do you still struggle?

I struggle. There are days that I go to take photos and nothing is working. I recently did a photo shoot with my 3 teenage boys. The weather didn't cooperate. The boys didn't cooperate. Out of about 500 shots, maybe 5 worked. That day was frustrating and I struggled.

What do you do?

I breathe deep. I look through my files of my good work. And I go out to shoot again.

How do you survive the moment and continue arting?


I pick up my camera and try again.

Do you compare your work with the work of other artists?

I do. And I have struggled with that in the past. Mostly though, the only time I have struggled with it is when I compare my sales with theirs. I have a wonderful network of artist friends. Comparing work with an artist friend helps me to grow.

How do you deal with comparison from others?

I consider the source. Then I either learn for it or toss it aside.


Do you have a process for your inner critic?

My inner critic gets the royal treatment. I respectfully listen and honor it. Then I apply what my inner critic is telling me or change the inner critics mind :-)

Do you know the ‘what’s the point’ jerk? How do you deal with him?

I close myself off. If I'm dealing with someone who doesn't understand, or care to understand art, that saddens me. But he can't make me feel bad about my art.

In what ways do you feel the struggle to heart your art has manifested itself in your life?

In the past, I struggled greatly to accept myself and my art. However, as I have grown as a person, my hearting of my art has grown.

Where do you believe this struggle comes from - what do you believe the root is?

I have struggled with self-identity and self-love in my past. The same is true for hearting my art. Thankfully, I'm at a much more safe, secure, and protected place now, allowing me to create!

What is your best tip for someone who struggles in this area?

I would recommend to all out there to do The Artist's Way. It's a 12 week program towards 'spiritual creativity' by Julia Cameron. And surround yourself with a support group of friends who love you enough to be supportive and be truthful.

Is there anything further that you’d like to add?

Thank you Melissa for making this your focus! I know that there are many out there who need it. And if any of you reading this need some support, I'll do what I can. Feel free to contact me at robynsart@live.com

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Melissa! I think it's so important to Heart your Art! You are doing a wonderful service to our artist's community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome feature on one of the most amazing people I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo to Robyn! Another awesome artist among us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa,
    Catching up after being away with work, loved your last post and your tips and so enjoyed Robyn's interview and her photos!
    It's great to have the opportunity to look at work that I otherwise wouldn't have come into contact with. I have been inspired and started to try out a few new ideas and methods of working that I'm having fun with. Jules x

    ReplyDelete

YAY! I wanna hear what you've got to say!

Need some help liking your own art?

Need some help liking your own art?
interviews and advice are just a click away
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click here to view this photo book larger

You'll love Shutterfly's award-winning photo books. Try it today.