Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wordy Wednesday 3: Victim

It might interest you to know that the word victim comes from the Latin word victima which means victim, sin offering, sacrifice. In Websters 7th New Collegiate Dictionary, it means:
  1. a living being sacrificed to a deity or in the performance of a religious rite
  2. someone injured, destroyed, or sacrificed under any of various conditions
  3. someone tricked or duped
But it might interest you more to know that it isn't in the Bible. No-where in the Bible is the word victim mentioned. There are a lot of different kinds of people and situations talked about in the Bible, the Bible is a pretty big book (just in case you didn't notice), and they (victims) aren't even mentioned! As soon as I realized this I said, "Whaaaaaa??? For real?"

Now, while I don't believe the Bible is the end all of everything, but I do know it is a pretty important book Full of wisdom. So...if a word isn't even mentioned in it......that means something to me.

But, what?

Someone said, "There are no victims, only volunteers."

Is this "the proof" that that statement is true??

What do you think of the concept that we come to Life to learn different things? To have a variety of experiences? To understand Who or What I Am is through those experiences?

So, if there are no victims, does that mean we are participants? Even in the most horrid things that happen?

I curious, what do you think?

~magick~
Meliss

1 comment:

  1. I believe its because of the equation: me + someone's sin = victim. The bible teaches us that it's not all about "me". That in our sufferings Christ can be glorified, our faith strengthened and lives changed. That there is good hidden in each struggle and all things happen for good for those who love God and are called according to his purpose. If all that is true and I believe it to be by personal experience. Then you have to take "me" out of the equation. What's left is someone else's sin. The victim part goes away. That persons sin is between he/she and God. We are called to forgive and pray for our enemies. Once we do that we are no longer victims but free Christ.

    ReplyDelete

YAY! I wanna hear what you've got to say!

Need some help liking your own art?

Need some help liking your own art?
interviews and advice are just a click away
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click here to view this photo book larger

You'll love Shutterfly's award-winning photo books. Try it today.